After doing my year-end rebuild of my Windows 7 system, I went ahead and did a check for updates, preparing to wait for awhile as there were currently over 150 important updates for my system even after installing SP1.
So I waited … and waited … and waited some more.
After a couple hours, I knew something was up so I started searching for solutions. Finally I found an update that took care of it; an update was needed to fix the update process.
To apply this fix:
- Restart your computer. I prefer to do a complete shutdown, wait a few seconds and then start it backup.
- To be safe, disable any anti-virus programs you have running. This update might not work if they’re active.
- From the above link, download the version of the fix that’s appropriate to your computer.
- Double click on the file to run it and follow the prompts. The installation process is short and simple.
- After the update finishes, restart your computer again.
When you run Windows update, it should now find any available updates within a reasonable amount of time.
If that update doesn’t fix the problem, there are a couple of others that I found out about when dealing with this problem on another machine.
Again, be sure to disable your anti-virus software when installing these and possibly when checking for updates as well.